Image source: Twitter
It has been a big, amazing year for art, research, and technology and SIGGRAPH 2017 was there to honor it all. Find out who won our top honors and learn more about the projects below.
ACM SIGGRAPH Awards
- The Steven Anson Coons Award For Outstanding Creative Contributions To Computer Graphics: Jessica Hodgins, Carnegie Mellon University
- The Computer Graphics Achievement Award: Ramesh Raskar, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- The Significant New Researcher Award: Bernd Bickel, IST Austria
- The Distinguished Artist Award For Lifetime Achievement In Digital Art: Ernest A. Edmonds, Institute of Creative Technologies, De Montfort University
- ACM SIGGRAPH Outstanding Service Award: Alyn Rockwood
- The Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award: Felix Heide, Stanford University
NEW! Best Art Paper – Art Papers
Art Papers contribute to our understanding of the history of art, inform contemporary artistic and critical practices, and anticipate and stimulate future trajectories. For the first time in 2017, the Best Art Paper award was announced on-site during the Art Papers session to “Transforming the Commonplace Through Machine Perception: Light-Field Synthesis and Audio-Feature Extraction in the Rover Project” by Robert Twomey (Youngstown State University) and Michael McCrea (University of Washington). Check out Twomey’s blog post!
Best in Show – Emerging Technologies
The 2017 Emerging Technologies Best in Show award went to “MetaLimbs: Arms Interaction Metamorphism.” The project was created by Tomoya Sasaki, MHD Yamen Saraiji, Charith Lasantha Fernando, and Kouta Minamizawa of Keio University, and Mashahiko Inami of The University of Tokyo. Read Keio University’s announcement.
— 稲見昌彦 Masahiko Inami (@drinami) August 2, 2017
Best Real-Time Graphics & Interactivity – Real-Time Live!
We’re thrilled to announce that we won this year’s #SIGGRAPH2017 Real Time Live title! @Mill_NY’s Joji Tsuruga & Eric Renaud-Houde take the stage with Michael Gay of Epic Games to demo ‘The Human Race’, #MillCyclops and #MillBlackbird – all in 6 minutes! * ‘The Human Race’ is an interactive film made possible by real-time VFX & powered by @unrealengine’s #UE4 #MillCYCLOPS and #MillBLACKBIRD – which will be featured in the #ExperienceHall beginning tomorrow. Watch the full film on facebook.com/millchannel * * * #realtimeVFX #realtime #SIGGRAPH #VFX #CG #VFX #realtimelive @joji_tsu @num3ric
— Unreal Engine (@UnrealEngine) August 2, 2017
Best Student Project – Computer Animation Festival
— Garden Party (@GPanimatedShort) August 9, 2017
Jury’s Choice – Computer Animation Festival
Best in Show – Computer Animation Festival
Powered by WPeMatico